The chief administrators of SUNY libraries throughout the state have assembled in Cooperstown, NY, for their spring meeting. While enjoying the beautiful views of Otsego Lake and the friendly hospitality of the Otesaga Resort Hotel, library directors have been discussing a myriad of issues impacting their libraries as reflected in their meeting program. This afternoon, the Council’s sectors hold their meetings which are often lively and always informative.
Daniel Kinney (Associate Director of Libraries for Resource Management) has been named the new Interim Dean of University Libraries at Stony Brook University. Andrew White, who had previously served as Interim Dean, has become the new Associate CIO for Health Sciences at Stony Brook. For more information on Daniel Kinney’s appointment, see the Library Connections blog.
As Andrew vacates his role as SCLD Chair, Elizabeth Orgeron (SUNY Cobleskill) has transitioned to the role of Chair from her previous position as Vice Chair/Chair Elect.
Good luck to all three individuals as they take on their new responsibilities!
Just a reminder that it’s that time again to complete the biennial Academic Libraries Survey produced by the National Center for Education Statistics of the U.S. Department of Education. Libraries should have received instructions in the mail in late October. The deadline for submitting your library’s data is Feb. 26, 2013.
SCLD library directors participated in an informative and enjoyable meeting at SUNY’s Fashion Institute of Technology in Manhattan earlier this week. Our thanks are extended to FIT library director NJ Wolfe, the SCLD executive board, and everyone else who worked on the planning and execution of this successful conference!
Here are some of my personal musings, random and mundane, regarding things I learned outside the conference meetings:
- FIT has some quite stylish (and sustainable) accommodations in their public restrooms including fancy porcelain fixtures (modern sinks and other items like this) and forced-air hand dryers that actually work!
- The Bombay Talkie serves some very tasty Indian cuisine. The baingan bharta and chicken tikka masala were quite good.
- When traveling to NYC, take the train! After having no trouble driving to NYC and through the Lincoln Tunnel, I then spent a full hour getting from the tunnel to the Hilton Fashion District hotel–the distance of about 1 mile–due to traffic, “bus only turn” signs and the one way streets!
- In at least two of our libraries this semester, couples have been caught in flagrante delicto in public areas. This is clearly not the type of extracurricular activity librarians across the country want to entertain or encourage in their discussions of “library as space“!
– Your directionally challenged Webmaster
SUNY library directors will be arriving at the Fashion Institute of Technology in NYC on Sunday, Oct. 14th, to attend SCLD sector meetings. A meeting of the whole body will occur on Monday, Oct. 15th. To see the meeting agenda and additional documents, visit the Meeting Info page.
See you soon in Manhattan!
Newly appointed Jamestown Community College library director Linda Larkin recently relocated from her previous job as director at North Country Community College in Saranac Lake, NY. Brian O’Connor has been named interim library director at North Country.