SCLD’s fall 2014 meeting will be held Oct. 23rd-24th in Victor, NY (just outside Rochester). Additional info on the meeting location and more will be posted soon.
SCLD’s 2014 Spring Meeting at the Otesaga Resort Hotel in Cooperstown, NY, occurring April 29th through May 1st is just two weeks away! Visit the Meeting Info page for the meeting agenda and other documents. We hope to see you there!
On December 5, 2013, the SUNY Council of Library Directors will be hosting a Summit meeting focused on clarifying the goals of SUNY Libraries related to the OpenSUNY initiatives, and starting the work toward those goals. A presentation of the current status of OpenSUNY initiatives, and the major goals in the SCLD OpenSUNY Task Force Report (http://tinyurl.com/pllvudn), will kick off the day, after which we will ask each attendee to choose the topics they find most interesting, and discuss, prioritize, and strategize about those goals with other engaged participants.
- When: December 5, 2013, 9:00-3:00. Lunch will be provided.
- Where: The Hilton Albany. A block of rooms has been reserved at the State lodging rate for December 4.
- Cost: Only your travel and lodging expenses; SCLD is covering facilities and food. Parking will be discounted to $7.00 for participants coming for the day, and overnight guests will receive complimentary parking.
- What: Discussion topics will be pulled from the SCLD White Paper on OpenSUNY. SCLD will identify discussion leaders for each topic to facilitate the free-forming groups. Outcome goals include drafting priorities for followup (for SCLD, SUNYLA, for the OLIS, and individual campuses with unique expertise), and potentially successful IITG proposals (http://www.suny.edu/provost/IITG.cfm) to support our work and needs.
- Who: Librarians and library leadership are encouraged to attend, with no more than 3 from each SUNY campus.
- How: As we are trying to get even representation from the many types and sizes of libraries in SUNY, we ask that interested librarians self-identify to their Director, who will register all participants on behalf of the institution. Lodging reservation information will be shared as part of the registration process. (If this registration process will not work for your institution, librarians are asked to please contact Jenica Rogers directly at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on an alternate process!)
To register attendees:
Directors, please fill out this registration form by noon on December 2, 2013.
SCLD’s Spring 2014 meeting will be held at Cooperstown’s Otesaga Resort Hotel on April 29th through May 1st (Tuesday through Thursday). Sector meetings will be held that Wednesday afternoon. Stay tuned for more information.
SUNY Distinguished Librarian Constantia Constantinou Appointed Stony Brook’s Dean of University LibrariesSeptember 26, 2013
SLCD Member and SUNY Distinguished Librarian Constantia Constantinou has been appointed Dean of University Libraries at Stony Brook University. Read more about the appointment at the press release from the Stony Brook News. Filling her vacancy at SUNY’s Maritime College will be Shafeek Fazal, formerly the library’s Head of Reference & User Services.
Our SCLD colleague David Haggstrom, Chair of the Hinkle Memorial Library at SUNY’s Alfred State College, appeared on tonight’s CBS Evening News in a segment on roque, an American lawn game similar to croquet. Watch David discuss his involvement in this one-time Olympic sport in this CBS video clip.
Roque and roll, David!